The eight-panel discussion under the “Anticipating Elections in Fiji” series is on topic: Importance of Youth participation in Democracy.
Effective participation of youth in politics is critical to democratic developments around the globe. According to 2017 Census, 69% of Fiji’s population is below the age of 40. According to the 2018 General Elections Voter Turnout and Survey Report, for the age group between 18-30, Fiji had in total 176,967 registered voters of whom 69,382 did not vote which is 39.2 per cent. The overall voter turnout in 2018 elections was 71.92 per cent. Increasing reluctance among youth to participate in politics and exercise their right to vote is particularly alarming and amounts to weakening of democracy. Therefore, it is imperative to reverse this trend and re-engage youth in the political and democratic process. This panel discussion will look into the experience of youths in the recent election in the Philippines and what are the perspectives of youth in Fiji towards participating in democratic processes.
- Date: 28 July 2022
- Time: 14:00 –16:00 GMT +12
- Hybrid Mode – Zoom Platform and Grand Pacific Hotel, Suva
- Avaneesh Raman, Freelance Consultant and Board Director, Leadership Fiji
- Ricamae Ented, Philippines Youth Representative
- Nyla Prieto, Programme Officer, International IDEA
- Rajan Murti, Programme Coordinator Fiji, International IDEA,
For more information about this panel discussion, please contact <email@example.com>.